Chicken with Basmati Rice, Almonds, and Raisins
You probably should not use your well-seasoned wok for this recipe. Tomato sauce will scour or strip the seasoning on your wok. Use a fry pan or deep skillet.
3 1/2 tbsp peanut oil
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. ground coriander
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup cooked Basmati rice
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup slivered almonds or roasted pine nuts
1/4 cup raisins
Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat until hot, swirling to coat sides of pan. Add chicken and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring, until meat is white throughout but still juicy, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- In same pan, heat remaining 1 1/2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 about 4 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and pepper. Cook, stirring one minute.
- Add rice and stir to coat, 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan. Add almonds and raisins.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Adapted from: "365 Ways to Wok"
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free EPub producer