Tamari Toasted Seed Coleslaw
3/4 cup mixed seeds (e.g. sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 small cabbage (about 1 pound)
3 medium carrots, shredded
3 green onions, chopped
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp whole grain mustard
3 tbsp light olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
- In a dry frying pan, toast the mixed seeds for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently, until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the tamari over the seeds and toss together quickly. The seeds will stick together initially, but as the mixture dries the seeds will separate.
- Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, oil, vinegar and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir into the vegetables with the cooled seed mixture and toss well. Season to taste, taking care as the tamari sauce is salty.
Source: Adapted from "BBC Vegetarian Magazine".
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free help authoring tool