Spinach and Chick-peas in Spiced Yogurt
Serves 4 to 6
2 pounds fresh spinach or 1 pound frozen cut-leaf spinach
1 tbsp. Vegetable oil
2 large onions, cut into ½ inch thick half moons
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. Garam Masala
1 14-oz can chick-peas, drained and rinsed
½ tsp salt or to taste
¼ tsp hot red pepper or to taste
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp cornstarch
- Remove spinach stems and cut leaves nto ½ inch strips and set aside. Discard stems. Chop leaves coarsely.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat . Add the onions and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the Garam Masala and coof for about 1 minute.
- In batches, stir in the spinach leaves, allowing each batch to wilt before adding another.
- Stir in the chick-peas, salt and hot pepper. Cover and cook until spinach leaves are just tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl, mis together the yogurt and cornstarch. Pour into the skillet and cook until heated through.
- Correct seasoning and serve over Basmati Rice.
Source: “On Rice” by Rick Rogers, Chronicle Books, 1992
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free HTML Help documentation generator