Shortbread Lemon Bars
Makes about 2 dozen bars
1 cup (1/2 pound) butter, softened
½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 cups all-purpose flour
The Lemon Filling
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. powdered sugar (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour and blend well.
- With your hands, gather up the dough and press evenly into the prepared pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a bowl until light and frothy.
- Continue beating and gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating until thick.
- Add lemon peel, lemon juice, flour and baking powder, beating until blended.
- Pour over hot baked crust and return to wioven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until pale golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar.
- Let cool in pan and cut into squares.
Source: Sunset Magazine
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free Kindle producer