Sausage and Peppers
1 lb. Italian sweet sausages (made with fennel, if possible)
½ lb. Italian hot sausages
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 cups drained canned tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp. basil
½ bay leaf
¼ tsp. crushed fennel seeds, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 to 8 Italian green peppers, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
Freshly grated Parmigiana Reggiano cheese
- Slice each sausage on slant into three parts. Sauté the sausage in pan until browned on all sides.
- Add onion and continue to cook slowly until onion is tender and golden and the sausage is cooked through. There should be enough fat from the sausage, but if the mixture seems dry, add a tbsp. or two of olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, bay leaf, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook 20 to 30 minutes, or until peppers are quite tender and mixture is thick. Serve sprinkled with Parmigian cheese.
Serve with potato gnocci, polenta, or rice, or a tossed salad and hot garlic bread.
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Easily create Help documents