Pot Roast Italian Style
A very flavorful pot roast. The sauce can be used with pasta for leftovers.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 3¾ pound bottom round beef roast
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped in ½-inch bits
1medium celery rib, chopped in ½-inch bits
2 garlic cloves
¾ cup dry red wine, more to taste
1 28-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes, with juice
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp dried basil
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown the roast on all sides, turning as needed, about 10 minutes. Transfer roast to a plate.
- Add more oil to pot if needed. Add onion, carrot and celery, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, the oregano and basil.
- Return the roast to the pot and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Simmer, turning occasionally, for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Transfer the meat to a platter. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand 5 minutes, and skim off any excess fat.
- Carve the meat and pour sauce over the top or serve on the side.
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free Kindle producer