Polenta with Garlicky Greens
Serves 4 to 6
1 recipe of Basic Soft Polenta
1 ½ lbs Swiss chard, (with red veins)
1 ½ lbs fresh spinach
¼ cup olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
6 medium garlic cloves, slivered
2 tbsp butter
salt to taste
- While the polenta is cooking, remove and discard the stems from the chard and spinach. Tear the leaves from the ribs and discard the ribs. Tear large pieces of leaf in half. Wash in cold water until no grit remains. Shake off leaves but do not dry them. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the greens to the pan. Stir to coat the leaves with the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the cover and reduce liquid so greens are moist but not wet.
- Serve in bowls on top of polenta.
Serve with: Mixed Bell Peppers with Onion, Tomatoes and Basil.
Source: "The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook", by Jack Bishop
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free EBook and documentation generator