Pasta, Bacon and Mushrooms
4 oz/115 g penne or similar pasta
4 strips bacon, sliced and diced
½ pound mushrooms (cremini or other extra-flavor mushooms)
2 tbsp basil pesto
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
salt and pepper
Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiana Reggiano cheese to pass
- Cook pasta in plenty of salted water until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup of cooking water and drain.
- In a large skillet, fry the cut-up bacon until the fat begins to try out.
- Add the mushrooms, keeping the heat high enough so they fry, not steam. Cook until the bacon and mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the reserved water and cook to warm the pasta, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the pesto, mixing everything together. Add the pine nuts and stir again.
- Serve on a platter or in pasta bowls. Pass grated cheese for extra flavor.
Source: "BBC Good Foods", October 2005
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Easily create HTML Help documents