Moroccan-style Squash Stew
1 1 ½ lb winter squash (butternut, or other), peeled and cubed
3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
2 tsp cumin seed
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp sweet paprika
3 medium onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 14-oz can diced, peeled Italian tomatoes
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 parsnip, finely chopped (optional)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
½ cup canned chickpeas, drained
¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- On a baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tbsp. of the oil and roast for 15 minutes.
- In an large saucepan, toast the cumin, coriander and paprika for moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the squash, broth, tomatoes, carrot, parsnip, cayenne, cinnamon and toasted spices. Season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add the chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice and serve.
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free EPub producer