Linguine with Clam Sauce
Use any kind of shellfish – mussels, hard- or soft-shell clams (but small ones).You can also use canned clams. Note the differences in the directions. The canned version is a quick meal, making the sauce takes about the same time as doing the pasta.
If you use Better Butter, simply substitute 8 tablespoons for the butter and oil.
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped sweet white onion
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup dry white wine
large pinch crushed red chilies
1 pound (480g) linguine (Barilla No. 13)
¼ cup chopped Italian flat parsley
3 to 4 dozen littleneck clams, mussels or small hard-shell clams,
or 2 10oz cans baby clams or venus mussels
- Start pasta water in large pot with lots of water. When it boils, add 1 tbsp salt. Add the pasta, stir and cook according to directions, about 9 minutes.
- Melt butter and oil in a heavy saucepan or high-sided skillet over low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, (if using canned clams, add the broth from the can) and heat to boiling; boil 3 minutes. Add the crushed red chilies.
- If using natural shellfish: Add clams, cover and steam over high heat until all clams are open, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard any clams that fail to open.
- When clams are done, remove from pan with tongs and set aside. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the sauce to the pot and stir.
- Serve pasta and sauce in heated bowls and add the clams on top, or serve the pasta on a platter, garnished with the clams and parsley.
- If using canned clams: when the sauce is complete, reduce the heat and wait until the pasta is nearly done. Bring the sauce to a boil and add the clams to the sauce, heating them through.
- When the pasta is done, drain and return to the pot. Pour about ½ cup of the broth onto the pasta a mix. Serve in heated bowls, add the sauce and garnish with parsley.
Serve with: Plenty of crusty Italian bread to sop up the broth.
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: News and information about help authoring tools and software