We found this recipe just before a visit to Alsace. While there, we were in a farmer's market where they were selling baggies of lavender buds. Long story short - it tastes great.
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
1 ¼ cups (divided) grated Swiss cheese
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 ½ cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 large eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup evaporated milk or cream
1 tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tbsp. dried
1 tbsp fresh lavender buds
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350F
- Prick the pastry shell to keep it from puffing and bake until set, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of the Swiss cheese on the bottom of the crust and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and cool.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Heat the butter in a large skillet, add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, thyme and lavender. Add the remaining 1 cup of Swiss cheese, the salt and nutmeg.
- Stir in the mushrooms and pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is just set. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Source: “An Unthymely Death” by Susan Wittig Albert (a book of China Bayles short mysteries)
Copyright © 2001-2014 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Single source CHM, PDF, DOC and HTML Help creation