French Toast with Berries. a.k.a. Blueberry Maple French Toast Casserole
Serves 4 to 6
You can prepare this the night before and bake it in the morning. Cover the dish with foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight.
1 pkg (1 lb/500g) frozen blueberries (Safeway Organic preferred)
¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup, plus extra for serving
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
4 large eggs
2/3 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 baguette or loaf of artisan bread
Salt to taste
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole or baking dish.
- Pour berries into the dish, add syrup, sugar and cornstarch. Stir until well blended and distribute evenly.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Add ¼ tsp nutmeg if desired.
- Slice bread into ¾ inch slices. Remove crusts if desired (we don’t).
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture to coat both sides. Place slices on top of blueberries in casserole. Pour any remaining egg mixture over the bread. If preparing ahead, cover and store overnight in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375 F./190 C.
- Bake in top 1/3 of the over for 35 to 40 minutes, or until blueberries are bubbling and toast is golden brown.
- Serve, removing toast to plate and covering with blueberries. Pass additional syrup.
Source: Toviah Crowell
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Easy EPub and documentation editor