Eggplant with Ground Beef
3 middle-size eggplants
1 large red sweet pepper
1 large onion
1/3 cup olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
2 small cans tomato paste
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Harissa, or red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Wash the eggplants and remove stems. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Wash the red pepper and cut into small pieces. Chop onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add ground beef and brown over medium heat.
- Add the red pepper and the eggplant and cook over slightly lower heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin and Harissa. Add 1 cup water and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Shortly before the end of the cooking time, add the garlic.
May be served over rice, bulgur pilaf or couscous. Plain yogurt is a good accompaniment.
Translated from "Arab Cooking" by Ali Soliman and Roland Marske
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Full-featured EBook editor