Curried Squash and Basmati Rice
1 pound butternut squash diced in ½-inch cubes
2 cups minced onions
3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/3 cup butter
1 ½ cups Basmati rice, rinsed and drained
1 ½ tbsp curry powder
About ½ tsp salt
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, skimmed of fat
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Peel squash and cut in half length-wise. Remove seeds. Dice squash in ½ to ¾-inch cubes (makes about 2½ cups).
- In a 5 or 6 quart pan over medium heat, frequently stir onions, ginger and garlic in butter until onions are very limp – 10 to 15 minutes
- Add rice and stir often until opaque, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and stir for 30 seconds or so.
- Stir in salt, squash and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until rice and squash are tender to bite, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and correct seasoning.
b in a bowl with yogurt, chutney.
Source: Sunset Magazine, November 2000
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Full-featured Kindle eBooks generator