Curried Grains with Chickpeas and Vegetables
1 ½ cups uncooked bulgur (try: 1 cup)
3 large scallions (green onions)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp ground cloves or allspice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 can (15oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 medium carrots, grated
1 can (14.5 oz to 16 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce, or to taste
The bulgur can be cooked in advance.
- In a large saucepan, combine bulgur, a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water. Heat on high heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Cover and set aside.
- While the bulgur cooks, grate the carrots, chop the whites of the scallions and then, separately, chop the green of the scallions. Put the spices in a small dish and mix them up.
- In large, non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the whites of the scallions. Cook for 3 minutes or so, stirring often. Do not brown.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the scallions and immediately add the chickpeas and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the bulgur and add the tamari. Mix well. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally until hot, perhaps 5 minutes. Add the green scallions as a garnish and serve.
Source: Adapted from "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures", by Jeanne Lemlin (Harper Collins, 1992) as seen in "Vegetarian Times" June, 2000.
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Easily create HTML Help documents