Cornbread in a Skillet
Serves 6 to 8
We love cornbread. Our traditional recipe, using an 8x8 pan, results in discoloration of the pan due to heating it in a hot oven when covered with oil. We found this approach, using a 10" cast iron skillet, that we like even better and there's no damage to the pan. Use the usual care with cast iron when cleaning.
Preheat oven to 450F; lightly oil the skillet and heat in the oven while mixing ingredients.
1 1/2 cups corn meal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
1/4 cup (3 tbsp) canola oil
3 large eggs
3 tbsp melted butter
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Break the eggs in another bowl and add the milk and oil. Beat lightly with a whisk.
- Place the butter in a 2-cup measure and melt in the microwave.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add the melted butter to the batter and combine.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter into it.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve with: Maple syrup or blueberry sauce.
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light, November 2015.
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: News and information about help authoring tools and software