Company Rice with Beans
1 cup rice, brown or white
2 cups water
1 tbsp. oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (2/3 cup)
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb., coarsely chopped
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
½ tsp. oregano
1 16-ounce can beans (kidney, pink, black, or garbanzo), drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (eg, Cheddar)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, water, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (35 minutes for brown rice). Keep the pan covered until the vegetable mixture is done.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and garlic, sauté until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and oregano. Cover the skillet, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add the beans, and simmer the mixture, stirring it occasionally, until it is heated through. Season with salt if desired, and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the vegetable-bean mixture over the hot rice, and sprinkle the cheese on top.
You can vary the flavor a bit with the addition of a dash of Tabasco or Worcestershire Sauce in the beans.
Source: "Jane Brody's Good Food Book"
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Single source CHM, PDF, DOC and HTML Help creation